- Super Meatboy Forever – Cross Platform (Including iOS and Android)
- Shovel Knight ‘King of Cards’ – Cross Platform (Including Amazon FireTV)
- Mom Hid My Game – Switch and 3DS, previously sold as “Hidden my game by mom – escape room” on iOS and Android
- Golf Story – Nintendo Switch Exclusive
- Floor Kids – Nintendo Switch Exclusive
- Wulverblade – Nintendo Switch, Steam and other consoles soon to follow.
- Poly Bridge – Steam, iOS and Nintendo Switch
- Kentucky Route Zero TV Edition – Xbox, Steam, PS4, Nintendo Switch
- Earth Atlantis – Nintendo Switch, TBA: iOS and Steam
- Next Up Hero – Steam, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PS4
- SteamWorld Dig 2 – Nintendo Switch September 21. Steam and PS4 a few days later
- Mulaka – Cross Platform
- Yono and the Celestial Elephants – Steam, and Nintendo Switch October 12, 2017
- Dragon Marked for Death – Nintendo Switch
- Battle Chef Brigade – Steam and Nintendo Switch Holiday 2017, PS4 2018
- Morphies Law – Nintendo Switch first, then PC
- Sausage Sports Club – Steam and Nintendo Switch
- Light Fingers – Cross Platform
- Nine Parchments – Steam, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
UPDATE 5/23/17: May’s Patch Notes
- We are planning on monthly updates during Early Access in conjunction w/ Test Servers.
- We’ll develop for three weeks, and then send the update out to the test servers for a week. If things are working well then we’ll we’ll push it to the other servers.
- We do not plan to change stance adjustments.
- No plans to implement locks on vehicles.
- Considering random crate drops for the end of rounds. But we won’t be giving higher ranked winners random crate drops, we don’t want the game to be a grind for crates.
- “I don’t think we can do a rejoin mechanic.”
- Helmets and vests are not designed to be put into backpacks “We want to avoid the situation where you shoot someone in the head and they immediately equip another helmet.”
- We are trying to make the HUD as minimal as possible while still trying to provide all necessary information.
- We should have an announcement for estimated release time RE: Austrailian servers next week.
- We will have oceanic servers, just no ETA.
- There are no plans for Linux or Mac support at this time, there are not enough people interested in playing to justify the development time necessary to implement.
- Keys with microtransactions won’t be implemented until after full release.
- Equipment skins will be coming after we work on game optimization
- We’ll have cosmetic skins for weapons, vehicles, and your characters.
- But we plan on keeping them relatively.
- The reason crates get more expensive the more you buy is to enforce a soft limit on the number of crates you can buy a week. To create an economy based on our skins, so limiting the number of crates you can obtain a week is important to make sure there is rarity within items. So there’s value in the marketplace.
- These items will available on the Steam marketplace. We will implement a system like CS:GO where you can buy keys and keys will be used to open crates.
- All the skins you have, you’ll be able to sell on the Steam marketplace eventually.
- We are looking at other ways for you guys to open crates, maybe a time release system. We do want to give players that don’t necessarily have money to spend on keys, we do want a way for them to get them skins.
- You’ll also be able to find skins in the crates in the world as well but that will be after full release.
- We’ve considered adding C4 as a remotely detonated charge.
- PU said they’re going to continue to working on positional audio, but Toone said it’s “spot on” and only needs work in spectator mode.
- We are going to adjust the final circles to make them a little bit slower, but no we are not reducing the damage.
- We do have plans for weather and possibly night maps. We first need to fix performance in the game first. We would like to add snow, but it’s very CPU heavy.
- If we do add night maps, it will not be dynamic. We don’t want your environment changing in the middle of a match.
- We may add more environmental sounds, but we don’t want to overly distract you from the gameplay.
- We don’t want to add fog effects outside the circle, we don’t want to punish people harder for being outside of it. Battle Royale is supposed to be about the fight, not the environment.
- We are going to work on the reward points.
- Our ranking is an ELO based system.
- You start at about 1200.
- Kills are worth 20% and win points are worth 100%.
- Kills are based on who you killed (their rank) and who you died to.
- Eventually, we have proper matchmaking when the ranking system is pretty stable.
- We do want to add ranks above people’s heads in the lobby as well so you know who you’re up against.
- There will be ranked competitive games, like 5V5
- We plan to have unranked matches so you can go in and just have fun and learn the game without concern for your rank.
- We will have separate ranks for solo on co-op.
- We will have ranks for your ratings as well, that will be implemented sometime in the future.
- There is currently [virtually] NO bullet drop, but we are adding air resistance, with full plans to add bullet drop in the future.
- We are considering adding a second option to scopes, red dots to ACOGs etc.
- Muzzle attachment changes:
- The compensator reduces the vertical recoil of the gun.
- Flash Hider changes muzzle light, particle effect, and a small compensator buff w/ partial horizontal recoil decrease.
- Suppressor makes a small change in deviation in random spread, and reduces the attenuation range of your weapon while adding a little audio spread mechanics to your sound. So you can still hear it, but it makes it harder to pinpoint by about 20 degrees.
- We will be changing muzzle flashes as well as line attenuation, so they will be able to be seen from longer distances.
- We may add more calibers to the game, depending on the weapons, but really what our intentions with the weapons is to really just balance the classes more than anything else. To make sure there are good pistols, good SMGs.
- The UMP is one of the weapons that we need to rework because it’s way too weak right now. It’s one of the weapons that aren’t currently using real world values for the muzzle velocity.
- This is subject to change: Verticle foregrip significantly reduces horizontal recoil by a large amount, and angled foregrips reduce both horizontal and verticle but by a smaller amount.
- No tracers on bullets, further than what is currently available on the sniper rifles.
- The reason you have FPS drops in towns is because of the numbers of objects in towns etc. So what we’re doing in the next 5 weeks is making the towns look simpler at distance.
- Currently, the towns are CPU limited, we’re trying to optimize it to use the GPU correctly and to its full potential.
- We are currently using BattleEye to deter cheaters.
- Parachuting is connected to ping, we could make it client side, but other than that there’s nothing we can do.
- Vehicle physics will be worked on.
- Next optimization pack is expected around April 15th.
- Streamer specific features will be coming.
- We will be coming out on consoles, but not until the PC version is complete.
- We are looking into the eSports scene, but we want it to grow organically. The hardest thing for us is figuring out tournaments, IRL, ’cause making Battle Royale viable is a tough sell. Personally, I started Battle Royale ’cause I thought it would make a great eSport.
- But we will have a really complex statistic point system, but that’s later down the line.
- Mod support will be coming, but will not be looked at until after we’re satisfied with the game optimization.
- Mods will run on separate servers, but we’ll talk about that later down the road.
- Will later implement a hardcore first person mode.
- Slightly reduced UI
- No crosshairs
- Our jumping mechanics are put on hold until our vaulting system is complete.
- Vaulting is at least 2 months out. w/ the initial plan being the end of May.
- Plan to have a vault / climb / jump feature that is Battlefield-esc.
- We are thinking about distinct impact sounds when shots connect – maybe just for headshots. But we have plans for… if you hit someone with a vest it will give a puff of dust rather than a puff of blood, so you know that that person is wearing a vest.
- No ETA on a replay feature.
- Additional maps are confirmed, and one is currently in the works.
- We’re adding a “play again” button to take you directly into matchmaking. But because of the nature of the game, there will be some downtime between hitting play and landing on the ground.
- You will eventually be able to use med kits and stimms while in a car.
- We do have plans to make environments more destructible, but optimization has to come first and destruction kind of messes with that.
- We will be implementing range finders and binoculars.
- We’re working on first person mode, but it will take time to implement.
- Motorcycles [with side carriages] are coming.
- Plan to implement FOV sliders.
- Field of view will only increase, players will not be able to make it less than 80.
- We do have plans for more death screen statistics.
- When we go to full release, yes we’ll probably do a wipe of all stats.
- We do want some kind of leveling system when it comes to weapons, and stuff like that, unlock special reloads for your character etc, it will have no effect on gameplay. But this will take a while.
- Will make it so that map markers can be seen by the entire team.
- The bleeding meter is supposed to stop when someone starts to revive you, it’s simply bugged atm.
- “Closed Connection” bug should be fixed within the next week for the remaining people suffering from it.
- Spectate mode is buggy and will be fixed.
- The circle position is always random, and is only prevented from going to the edges of the map.
- There will be other maps in the future, but the current one took roughly a year to make, so won’t be any time soon.
- The map that players are currently playing on is 100% complete (when it comes to content), we’re just working on polishing it right now.
- We’re pushing daily updates to the servers, trying to optimize them to the best of our ability. Unreal Engine wasn’t made for open worlds or 100 players on a map, but we’re going to brute force it anyway.
- There will are two bigger optimization updates on the 7th of April and the 14th of April.
- We do have plans for consoles, but only after the full PC release.
- I have a few other game modes I’d like to add, but I’d really like to see what the modding community will come up with. After full launch.
- We will be giving people the ability to write core code without directly giving them C++ Access.
- First person hardcore will come without a crosshair, and a limited User Interface, there is no ETA at this time.
- I’ll probably be working on this for another year at least; not just the game but setting up for eSports.
- We have our leaderboards, we have ELO-based ranking. But we want it to grow organically, I just want to give the community the tools to build whatever they want.
- I always wanted to create a community sport.
- We’re adding take-downs.
- Standing take-down
- Crouch take-down
- You need to be sneaking up on someone that isn’t moving.
- We’re rewriting our propagation algorithm for foliage to make it look a little bit more natural, and add a little bit more cover, so there will be a bit more bushes and stuff like that; cause right now it’s a little bit bare.
- We will make it so that foliage isn’t tactical. We don’t want it so that people that turn foliage down can see you hiding in the grass, and people with it on can’t.
- We will have 2D replays and 3D replays with floating spectator cameras.
- We’ll also have a record feature so you can analyze your moves, and look at your teammates’ movements.
- [Call of Duty esc} kill / death cams that rewind 5 seconds and shows you how you were killed.
- The bug that makes houses not propagate is being worked on, but it’s very elusive. We do know of it, we’re just trying to track it down.
- Asked if he’ll have to reduce draw distance to increase performance: I like the 100 people, but we haven’t even touched performance, up until the start of early access we were only adding content, it’s just now that we’re starting to work on optimization.
- We are kind of happy at the level of customization with the weapons. No changing barrels etc. We’re happy with the calibers we have, I just want to add new weapons, if anything a few more scopes…
- We want to add a few more SMGs a few more ARs. I just want to work on balance first.
- We want to make it so that you’re not just maining ARs
- Battleroyale is the fight between you and the other player, it shouldn’t be a fight between the UI or your surroundings.
- We want to add a gun range map, but it’s not a high priority. Right now the way that we’ve built the game, it’s really hard to make a single player thing without a lot of work.
- We had to remove the crossbow for a moment, but we will be putting it back in.
- RE footsteps: “All the sounds need to be tweaked, all of these things will be changed.”
- Jumping system is on hold, but sounds in relation to jumps will be worked on as well.
- We’re in early access beta, so it’s all about performance, it’s all about optimization. There will be more content, but it will be 80% optimization.
- No plans in adding mounted weapons to boats, mods can always do it, I feel it’s a little OP for Battleroyale.
- There will be Twitch integration. These are things that will be coming closer to full launch.
- The know-down feature “issue” in which you’re revived with almost insufficient health is intentional.
- Skins are not something we’re working on right now, but we won’t be looking at that until the game is fully released.
- What I really want to do is make sure we have a skin economy, that’s why the crates quickly increase in price, there’s a soft limit to how many you can buy.
- There will be keys to open those crates, but not in EA.
- You’ll be able to find those skins in the world, we don’t want to punish people that can’t afford to buy keys to open crates.
- There are big bugs with the reward system, but give us time, we’ll fix them.
- Clothes will only be cosmetic.
- When you start reviving someone their revive meter I should I stop, but it’s bugged right now.
- We want to add air drag to bullets.
- The pan does deflect bullets.
- Animations are still being polished.
- We’re going to have emotes eventually.
- Right now the European servers…the problem is not that we have [bad] servers. We’re updating servers daily, it’s due to what we put on them – buying more servers won’t increase the performance the way we want, we’ve been focusing on stabilizing servers first, and we’ll continue to do daily server updates.
- We hope to be at full release in 6 months.
- We really don’t want to give serious rewards for winning cause that will lead to farming. We really don’t want to give something that’s valuable for winning cause that will lead to farming and cheating and people doing 20 man teams in solo just so they win.
- We will have leveling for “skills” with your AR, so you can unlock special reloads. It will add nothing to the game, they’ll be tactical reloads – they won’t go any faster, they’ll just look cooler.
- No KSVK.
- We’d like to implement C4 so you could put explosives on cars and walk away and trigger them when other people walk up by.
- There will be full in-game replays, much like CS:GO.
- And more ways to change your keybindings.
- This is the set price, it will not increase from $29.99
- No combat stances.
- No plans for traps or other hazards other than the bombs.
- We want to add more destruction, we want to add more environmental things but.
- We’re working on the fuckboi cabin.
- No sound when the electric field progresses.
- Swimming under the water is faster.
- We do want to do snow, in the way that as it falls it piles up, and to show your footprints but that’s really performance heavy, so it won’t be anytime soon.
- Texture quality will be improved over time.
- Squad waypoints should be in the first monthly update.
- We will be adjusting grenades.
- They currently can be cooked though, and that will stay in game.
- We won’t be implementing the feature that makes you limp if you’re shot in the leg / aim badly if you got shot in the arm. We really don’t want to punish you that much for getting hurt, you’re already losing HP.
- I’m happy with loot at the moment. It needs to be tweaked and tuned, but it forced you to keep looting. This idea that you land and are geared within 2 or 3 minutes is not something we want.
- There is currently a 10% chance of getting a rain-ey server.
- Opening doors, getting into cars and picking up loot are all server-side operations, so they will be quicker when performance is improved.
- We announced on our Dev log yesterday that we’re looking into ping lock.
- Points are for cosmetic and crates, rankings are ELO rated. (more about this in my previous dev post.)
- The red zones are also random, we only put them in there to make you say “Oh shit.”
- I have other game modes plans, but for now just working on optimization focus
- We have our custom games, which are gonna start out pretty basic, but as we work on the custom game platform you’ll be bale to do so much more – give your own experience to Battleroyale.
- After early access you’ll be able to buy keys with points and then use them to open crates.
- Microtransactions will never affect gameplay ever.
- We may later implement a way to change your username.
- Colorblind mode will be implemented in the next major patch (roughly three weeks from now.)
- (Contrary to what he said on his last stream) Okay there is bullet drop, but it’s very minimal. It’s gravity based… there is bullet drop, but because most of the bullets are supersonic they do drop very little over time. Once we add air drag it will all change…
- The way [loot] works is… you have residential buildings and military buildings. Military buildings have a higher chance to spawn military weapons, but you’ll still find shit loot. And residential buildings have a higher chance to spawn “residential” weapons or less powerful weapons but you’ll still find – every now and again – high-value stuff.
Update 6/27/17: EFT Closed Beta Announcement
- Scav mode, available once per hour, provides you with a fully randomized character with random appearance and items. Provides you with the opportunity to collect all the loot you can, and if you get out alive you can transfer the loot to your main character stash.
- Available later this month in alpha.
- When you finish the raid successfully a Scav Transfer window will open allowing you to drag and drop the items you looted onto your main character.
- The bigger your Omega Container the more items you can keep, even if you die before the end of the raid.
- Scavs are less stealthy than other characters, talk loudly, “respond” to other characters.
- As a Scav you may randomly spawn with A.I.Scavs. If you decide to kill one A.I. Scav the others in the vicinity will turn on you.
- Scavs do not always join at the beginning of the game, they may join during the middle or towards the end of the raid.
- Battlestate Games plans to become more storyline oriented and are working to make quests a major part future of the game.
- Players have to first do all the raids, escape from tarkov, and learn why you were there in the first place. Later they will implement free roam so you can take advantage of the open world.
- They are currently working on the first set of skills. Repeatable actions that allow you to upgrade your skills. They would like there to be 10-15 skills at the launch of the Scav faction.
- Have plans to build a shoreline location w/ an abandoned hotel, and a village / swamp, all double the size of the current woods map.
- Want to add the MPX, Russian APS (Stechkin Machine Pistol) and Lobaev Arms DVL-10* firearms.
- Want to implement a stalker-esc arena mode, planned for the end of the summer. Features 1v1 and 2v2 matches 5-8 minutes each
- Are considering two sub arena modes, one that allows you to bring your own weapons and risk losing them, and another that lets you play as a Scav.
- Top tier weapon mastery will let you tactically reload while aiming down sights
- Are aiming for closed beta to be around early summer and open beta late summer.
- Will look at console releases following the full release of Escape from Takov on PC.
- Are considering a Karma System. If you have low karma traders may stop trading with you, your weapons might jam up more, etc.
- Do not want to implement pay to win features. If you run out of weapons on your main character NPC players might send you free things “We will find a way…it will be okay.”
- Will let you customize your character appearance: both face (at the character creation) and clothes during the game.
*thank you to the anonymous commenter for the correction.
While at GDC 2017, we will introduce a new game mechanic/faction for the highly anticipated MMO/FPS. Previously seen only in videos, Battlestate will be showcasing gameplay based on a special faction within the game called the Scavs.
Scavs are marauders who remained in the city of Tarkov after the government lockdown in order to seize property left behind by citizens, while also fighting any forces attempting to restore law and order in the city. The Scavs will be a playable faction and will cause plenty of trouble for those playing as Operatives of the two Escape from Tarkov PMC factions (USEC and BEAR).
Soon, players will be able to enter Escape from Tarkov raids as the renegade Scavs – and upon doing so, they will be assigned a random player name, equipment, and weapons. The Scavs can group up in packs of up to four players. If a Scav player survives the raid, they will be able to move collected loot into the stash of their main character. The opportunity to play as Scav will be limited in frequency, so it’s best to jump into the Scav role while you can!
“Playing as a Scav is like playing the game without rules, one where the players can experience quite different gameplay with a focus on reckless abandon,” commented Nikita Buyanov, COO of Battlestate Games and Project Lead, Escape From Tarkov. “The Scav player is spawned together with AI Scavs. Scav tactics change up the overall style of raid gameplay, and in most cases, complicating the lives of BEAR and USEC players, while also fighting amongst themselves.”
After GDC 2017, Scav gameplay will be added to the upcoming closed beta version.
– Scavs enter the game with a random player name, equipment, and weapons. If they survive the raid they can move the loot they acquired in the raid to their main character.
– Scavs can group up, with up to four people in a group.
– Are only available once an hour, or by paying in-game currency.
– Are in opposition of the BEAR and USEC PMC’s but can also fight within their own faction (Scavs appear as AI to other human players.)
– After GDC 2017, Scav gameplay will be added to the upcoming closed beta version.
What’s the point? You no longer have to go into a match with bare fists or risk your best gear. You can go in with a generic character and generic weapons, and anything you loot in that raid becomes yours to keep. If you end up with nothing, there’s no loss – none of your main character’s items are forfeited.
The unedited transcript from Battlestate Game’s Escape from Tarkov video, Developer’s 2016 Report
“The Escape from Tarkov team has come a long way since the reveal, setting the bar for the hardcore shooters to a whole new level. Developing ideas, working on the project every day right here in St. Petersburg, we are bringing the project release closer with every new version, maintaining a high level of quality and realism.
Hello everyone, my name is Nikita Buyanov and I head the independent Battlestate Games studio that is developing a PC exclusive first-person hardcore multiplayer battle simulator Escape from Tarkov. EFT is unique in many ways, a project that, although hardcore, will be intuitively understandable for players, while remaining as uncompromisingly realistic and captivating as it was planned out.
The Escape from Tarkov tells a story of a private military company operator caught in the maelstrom of events in a fictional Russian town of Tarkov – Events, that would eventually lead to a global collapse. Trapped in the center of the city out of contact with the command, the players will have to escape from Tarkov to survive. Or escape from their past by staying in the city with a new world order. Consistently heading towards the exit, the player discovers that it’s not as simple as it seemed, and there are plenty of unknown parties pursuing their own goals.
Starting last year with the first cinematic trailer and first combat prototypes, we have now come to a full-fledged alpha version ready to become beta. Many parts of the game were undergoing constant changes, from network engine and physics to some key gameplay aspects and graphics. Regular adjustments to the development course have become a necessity in order to maintain the cornerstone concept of the game – maximum immersion multiplayer shooter. EFT is not about survival, although such elements of gameplay are more than abundant. EFT is a game about combat situations in dangerous conditions, where degree of the player involvement and knowledge play a very important role. Expertise in operation and modification of weapons, orienteering skills, tactical training, control over speed and body position, team work under different weather conditions and time of day, aptitude in non-standard combat environment and many more. All these skills and knowledge, all these unpredictable variables are involved in the creation of the EFT unique combat situations. All these variables we hone to perfection. In this video report we will tell you about what we’ve been working on this year and reveal and explain our plans for the future.
Thorough and detailed approach to weapons in EFT is unprecedented and has no rivals among other projects. Weapons are what we love – and what we are proud of, so we strive to do them as realistically as possible. Constantly analyzing and discussing various aspects of weapon handling, we came to the conclusion that adding an advanced action, in addition to the overall realism and credibility of what is happening on the screen, can also give a slight tactical edge. Thus, when using various tactical lights, we decided to make a visual display of their mode switching. In our use of sights and scopes we rely on the actual experience of their application, and from the start we were particularly fascinated with the operation of auxiliary and combined sights.In reflex sights, we do not ignore the option to switch the reticle type (Provided that this function is really present in specific models). At this stage, we implemented the ability to fold and unfold stocks,which will, in the future, affect the occupied storage space in the inventory.Folded stock changes weapon characteristics and grip. We even took care to shift the weapon center of mass. All of this affects the recoil dynamics when shooting. Our weapons are subject to wear. Weapon failure, as well as poor ammo quality, can lead to a number of consequences. Various problems like jams, stovepipes and misfires. Now we are implementing a serious bolt jamming for critically low weapon condition.The process of eliminating this problem takes a lot of time and can have a crucial influence the outcome of the battle.
Weapons in EFT work with numerous applied parameters and characteristics, some of which are hidden from the player. Absolutely all of the parameters are balanced in a realistic way, every body kit on a weapon influences it in some way. Stocks noticeably modify the recoil and weapon control factors when firing, and, as we mentioned earlier, change the weapon’s center of mass position and grip hold. We feature a lot of different stocks from different manufacturers. An equally important characteristic of weapon is ergonomics. Each kit can make changes to this parameter, changing weapon control ability on grip and the aim-to-sights speed.
Let’s not forget that weapons also have real dimensions, which may interfere with their handling in confined spaces. By using reduced barrels, folding or removing the stock, you can create a compact modification for the confined spaces combat. This is just one example – with our comprehensive modification system you can do whatever you like within boundaries of the real weapon modding.
The more we work with weapons in the game, the more we get used to it, upgrading the Mastering characteristic.The higher is the level of weapon mastery, the more professionally our character handles it – Principles and speed of reload change, player assesses the number of cartridges in the magazine more accurately. Furthermore – we will add the ability of tactical reloading while aiming at the maximum level of mastering. The more we work with the weapon, the more it wears down, appending penalties to the weapon characteristics.
At this stage, we have started working on a couple of additional tricks – Visual weapon wear and functional binding of the overheating factor. There will be many, many weapons in the EFT. We already introduce a whole series of weapons made with encyclopedic detail, after searching through a bunch of sources in quest for reliable information. Thus, everything that happens in the game is essentially an alternate reality of our time, and all weapons are absolutely realistic. No fiction.
The game has an internal economics and the plot, and that also affects the choice and availability of particular system. We often try to take on the rare special designs that were either never present in the other games or been done incorrectly, unlifelike. For example, the Kedr-B SMG is a very rare modification with special muzzle device, just like PB. In the game we can examine everything in detail, get all the information and sensations that can be compared with real feelings. In the process of implementing everything related to weapons, we often turn to manufacturers and just people with combat experience.
Frequent visits to the shooting range are also equally important for all categories of the company’s specialists – A developer should know what he is doing.We are also shooting the videos and pictures as a reference, and often get back to them in the course of development. For example, we relied on the physical model of the exhaust gases dissipation in the muzzle devices when building the system of shot effects and muzzle flashes. Every flash hider, muzzle brake or silencer has a unique pattern of smoke and fire spreading. That means that the use of muzzle devices is completely justified. Somebody may want to cut recoil, while somebody else might prefer to reduce exposure while shooting.
We’d also like to single out the job we’ve done on munitions. Right now there are already many different types of cartridges. The type of cartridge affects muzzle velocity, ammunition quality affects the chance of misfiring and jamming. The bullets have ricochet and piercing abilities. We intendedly implemented the segmentation of bullets after breaking through, to recreate the destruction of bullets after passing one obstacle or another. Now we have almost finished adding the tracer bullets, which, yet again, are implemented in a realistic way, based on the physics of the process. This type of munition will clearly showcase how the ballistics in Escape from Tarkov works. In addition to firearms, we are also busy with melee weapons.
At the moment, the game features several basic knives and a notorious Tomahawk, which will be, in the future, supplemented with a special ability to break open the doors. We are constantly adding new ways to interact both with inventory items and objects in the locations. The need to light up the dark rooms with no flashlight installed on the weapon led to introduction of ability to take the torchlight separately with hands, and use them in combination with a weapon in a free hand.
To achieve the deeper gameplay immersion we add the unique animations of using medicine like first aid kits, bandages, etc. Based on this principle, we will be able to realize the visual application of an item, which will be accompanied by animations.
For instance, lockpicking the doors with MultiTool is almost done. Generally, MultiTool is a very important item in the player’s inventory. It can be used to perform the in-depth modification of weapons and pick some of the closed doorslocks. The tool itself will also have a durability limit. Right now the doors can either be opened with keys or kicked down.In the future we’ll be able to, in addition to multitool picking, hack them with axe, throw grenades inside and perform the tactical breach. It is also worth to note the future functionality of the doors with combination lock. For such doors you’ll need the special key cards and access codes. And behind these doors we’ll hide the Terragroup stockpiles no one had managed to get hold of yet. We can now break the bulbs and use NVDs to arrange cleanup operations in the dark. In the future, when we implement the power system, we will be able to switch off the light or even cut off entire buildings or areas by hitting the switch in the substation.
We are also planning such features as mining, increased number of physical and interactive object types on locations, dragging of heavy objects and bodies. Additional character control in the game is ensured by the possibility of a smooth change in speed and stance. For your convenience, we have introduced a zone of visual display of the current stance and speed of the character. There you can also easily spot the speed penalties from various causes, such as heavy armor or injuries. After adding leaning and backstep, which are certainly useful for fighting indoors, we started researching the possibility of adding blind shooting. This will be possible thanks to a procedural animation system, which takes into account the dimensions of weapons and does not require the creation of special markers and objects, unlike other games.
Another useful innovation will be the sign system, designed to issue commands and simply for silent communication in raids. The character control system is being constantly improved as new features are introduced to the game.
Over the last year, the AI, as well as the part related to the details of the NPC, has undergone a lot of changes and innovations. The bots have become smarter, every new patch gave them new capabilities and skills. Now the main PvE characters in the game are Scavs, the local bandits who come at the sound of any noise, looking for something to loot. They are unscrupulous and ruthless marauders, surviving and plundering in Tarkov. In the raids, they come at the most unexpected moments, capable of lengthy tracking of players and working in groups.
Playing as Scav is going to be an important feature for future versions of EFT. The players will be able to fulfil themselves as the raiding marauders, not being attached to the main character, spawning on location in the most unexpected places and situations. Upon surviving in the raid, the player will be able to save everything collected as Scav for the main character. The characters in EFT in general are also being constantly upgraded, augmented with new clothing elements and facial traits for the planned appearance customization. There are lots of RPG elements in EFT, and their number keeps growing. Handling of the classic slot inventory, equipment and unloading systems, working with containers and stash, repairing weapons and equipment – We have always treated inventory management with utmost attention while implementing it.
Game character itself has physical attributes, such as health, energy, hydration, stamina, level of biological and radiation poisoning, body temperature and blood pressure. These attributes will be directly affected by skills, consumed food, ambient temperature, etc. The damage system is broken down into different parts of the body, each with its own volume of health. We can break a bone, get varying degrees of bleeding, contusion, pain syndrome. The character may become physically exhausted, die from dehydration and starvation. In the future, we plan to introduce the stress factor that will take into account the mental state of the character.
The skill system at this stage is being actively adjusted and balanced. The game will feature types of skills – mental, physical, combat and practical. Every skill upgrade will be based on repetition of particular actions. Each new level of skill gives a certain positive effect. Top level skills give an elite perk. Additionally, the player improves the character’s rank by earning experience points in raids. The player receives the experience for opening new locations and secret places, breaking the doors, by completing quests and gaining important information, neutralizing enemy, repairing weapons and equipment, using medicines. With each new level-rank of the character the game will unlock new opportunities, such as access to new locations, new range of goods at traders, their new services and jobs.
The traders themselves are tied to certain locations and have their own biography, set of offered services and trading principles. By the end of this is already in the alpha version. The trading system will be improved further with the addition of the flea market – A free trade zone among the players – and auctions. Every trader will have its own set of jobs closely related to the game story. In addition, traders will offer a set of services – Currency exchange, insurance of equipment and weapons, manufacturing and other. Just a few clicks are enough to go into the raid – Choose your character, choose your location and if you wish, gather a group for a joint venture.
Right now the game has one mode, consecutive clearing of the story locations – Raids.In the future, we will add the Arena and the Free Roam mode. Players will be able to chat, coordinate joint raids, share the gained information and just blab on any topic. We also plan to create a large-scale clan system. Storyline locations-raids are different zones of city of Tarkov and its suburbs.Industrial premises, transport interchanges, commuter districts, large patches of woods, cottage community, lighthouse and, of course, downtown city.
Everywhere, the player will have to find a way to escape from the isolated spots, consistently approaching the getaway zone. The variety of locations force the player to resort to different tactics, and a large number of objects for exploration will maintain interest in returning to this location again and again. Dynamic weather and daylight time changes have already been mentioned earlier. The server time in game runs at x the normal speed so that players could have a chance to notice the changes. Also, in the weather system you can adjust the amount of clouds, density and height of the fog, wind direction and speed, the force of rain and chance of thunder and lightnings in a thunder-storm. The weather system is being adjusted and improved all the time. We have added procedural soaking, puddles on the ground, raindrops on weapons. The weather and daylight time effects can look differently when using shades and tactical glasses, which have their own pros and cons.
Altogether, we plan to have raid locations + A few hidden extras, one Free Roam location and two locations for Arena mode. Each raid location is unique and, often, it will be necessary to return to them for performing certain tasks. Some places require teamwork, some can be ventured alone. In the latest raids, the players will encounter advanced Scavs and even rogue PMCS that have chosen the path of banditism. The location production process is now one of the main priorities for the team of modelers and level designers.
Right now we are working on the most ambitious location of them all – The Tarkov city downtown. The streets of Tarkov and buildings in them were literally designed from scratch. A lot of buildings will be made available for indoor exploration. Just imagining a -storeyed hotel complex and a -storeyed business center is enough to be impressed.
There is lot to do in the new year. The launch of the closed beta is right around the corner. Let’s not forget about such mission-critical development stages as optimization, bugfixes and deployment of the state-of-art anti-cheat protection that incorporates all the innovative offender detection algorithms. At the same time, the game community has lost no time growing and developing by several times compared to the beginning of the year.
On Escape From Tarkov Forum, we started a multilanguage section that brings together members from all over the world the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Spain, and many other countries. In addition, we have launched the Escape From Tarkov emissaries program. Emissary is a community member endowed with special rights, who communicates with the developers directly. Emissaries hold a variety of contests, rewarding those they considered worthy with access to the game. Hundreds of thousands of players from all over the world are united by one game. Student from Ethiopia, guy from the Russian heartland or sergeant of the United States Marine Corps – Unified by one idea, one community, one battlefield, the name of which is Escape From Tarkov!
On behalf of the developer’s team we wish you the best of luck and a Happy New Year.
Battlestate’s Escape from Tarkov, is a (self-described) ‘hyper-realistic’ open-world survival game the likes of H1Z1, The Forest and Day Z. It’s currently still in Alpha, and I have yet to get my hands on it, but it’s the only Survival game I’ve had any personal interest in so I will keep you guys updated on its growth.
They’ve just released a Yearly Report, but it’s in Russian, so expect a post about it as soon as a version is posted in English.
Edit: As of three days following the initial posting, there has been no English dub, so I’ve downloaded the transcript and made it into a paper/speech, here.
I’ll add the English annotation tomorrow, pretending to take a day off for Christmas 😉